DTC made bridge inspections a variety of structures in and near Boston associated with the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) and Interstate 93 (I-93).
Inspected items included:
- Rolled steel stringers
- Steel box girders
- Concrete box girders
- Tunnel ceilings
- Tunnel lighting and overhead items
Structures were either part of a ramp/tunnel for the interstate highways or spanned over the highway roadways. Due to the unique structure types and locations, inspections required more in-depth scheduling and coordination than a typical roadway bridge inspection.
Specialized training and planning included:
- Confined space training to inspect the inside of box girders, enclosed ramps, and tunnels
- Bucket trucks for exterior inspections and to reach access holes for interior inspections
- Daytime highway lane closures along I-90 with traffic control and police details
- Nighttime work with highway roadway, ramp, and tunnel closures
- Constant communication with MassDOT Highway Operations Center (HOC) during inspections using provided hand-held devices